History of Trenton Township
Originally known as Sunbury Township, Trenton Township is now a smaller portion of its original size. It was the third township established in Delaware County, with its formation dating back to June 16, 1808. Initially, its boundaries were as follows: starting at the northeast corner of Section 2, Township 5, and Range 17, of the United States Military Survey, then proceeding south along this line to the southern county line. From there, it ran east along the county line to the eastern edge of the county, then north along the county line to the Indian boundary, and finally, west along this boundary until it met the east line of Marlborough Township. From there, it continued south to the southeast corner of the township and finally west to its starting point.

Originally, Sunbury Township included the present townships of Harlem, Trenton, Porter, and half of Berkshire and Genoa in Delaware County, as well as several townships in Morrow County: Peru, Bennington, Lincoln, and Harmony. Over time, portions of Sunbury Township were carved out, leading to the establishment of Trenton Township. The name "Trenton" was chosen in the early 1830s to avoid confusion with the village of Sunbury in Berkshire Township.

Trenton Township is currently bordered by Porter Township to the north, Licking County to the east, Harlem Township to the south, and Berkshire Township to the west. It covers an area of five square miles, encompassing 16,000 acres of land. The terrain is generally flat, with some slightly rolling areas away from watercourses.

Natural streams provide drainage for the township, including Big Walnut Creek, Rattlesnake Run, the North Fork, South Fork, Culverts Run, and Perfect's Creek. Quarrying of fine building stone has historically been a significant industry in the area, with numerous quarries in the township.

The first known settlers in Trenton Township were William Perfect and Mordecai Thomas, who arrived in the spring of 1807 from Kentucky. Bartholomew Anderson settled nearby in 1810. Trenton Township attracted settlers from various regions, including New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.

Gilbert Van Dorn, who came from New Jersey in 1817, played a notable role in the township's development. He operated a tavern known as the "Center Inn" in a log cabin and later expanded it into a brick hotel in 1829, which was the first brick building in the township. Other early settlers included John Leak, Silas Ogden (who established the first tannery), and Oliver Gratrax.

In the early 1830s, the Condit family arrived from New Jersey, contributing to the growth of the community. The construction of a railroad in the township further facilitated transportation and commerce.

Trenton Township's history includes various aspects such as mills, schools, and churches, which are covered in separate chapters.

As of 1908, township officials included E. W. Debolt as justice of the peace, S. R. Walke and John T. Geddes as trustees, E. G. Condit as clerk, J. W. Condit as treasurer, E. M. Linnabary as assessor, and E. B. Forwood and Frank Spangler as constables.